Minimum Academic Requirements and Policies
The LWCS is dedicated to providing its students with a rigorous academic program. We believe that this will best help them prepare for high school graduation and post-secondary, vocational and career opportunities in the future.
Thus, the LWCS holds all students accountable to achieving beyond our minimum academic standards. These standards, combined with the flexibility provided within our independent study based charter school, offer students an excellent, voluntary alternative to traditional education. Students are required to meet and exceed the minimum standards in order to remain enrolled within LWCS.
When each student and parent(s) signs the Independent Study Master Agreement, the student will understand and agree to meet the following standards:
- In order to keep pace with a 4-year high school graduation pace, I will earn the minimum study requirement of 15 or more academic credits per trimester and 45 academic credits per school year. If I do not achieve the minimum study requirement, an evaluation will be made to determine whether I can remain enrolled within the charter school.
- I will be expected to successfully complete 100% of my required assignments.
- If I achieve less than 75% of verified attendance for two consecutive school months OR average less than 75% between 3-5 school months (based upon specific requirements of attendance and verified work product) an evaluation will be made to determine whether I can remain enrolled within the charter school.
- I will be supervised by and meet regularly with my Independent Study teacher. If I fail to complete 2 consecutive assignments AND/OR miss 2 appointments during a calendar month, an evaluation will be made to determine whether I can remain enrolled within the charter school.
- According to district policy for Independent Study in grades 7-12, no more than 4 weeks or 20 school days may elapse between when an assignment is made by the teacher and the date it is due, unless an exception is made in accordance with district policy.
LWCS’s evaluation of students failing to meet minimum academic requirements will be entirely based upon the student’s academic performance, demonstrated track record for fulfilling responsibilities and demonstrated motivation.
For a full copy of our student handbook, click here.
© 2012. Public Works Group. All Rights Reserved.