How to Enroll at Learning Works Charter School
Learning Works Charter School’s admission policy is to accept students who are seeking a voluntary alternative to traditional, classroom-based education. As such, we actively recruit a diverse student population that fits our target population. Students, who understand, need and value the school’s mission and who are committed to the school’s instructional and educational philosophy will be encouraged to apply.
Admission to LWCS shall be open to any resident of California, without any admission requirements. Students will be considered for admission without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender or disability. The school strives through our recruiting efforts to achieve a racial and ethnic balance of students that reflects the general population within the territorial jurisdiction of the Pasadena Unified School District.
The LWCS enrollment process is designed to collect pertinent and necessary student information prior to enrollment and insures the communication of our educational philosophy and of the responsibilities required of students and parents. In addition, students understand and accept the following in regards to enrollment within LWCS:
- LWCS will have no admissions testing as a condition of student enrollment.
- Students will not be enrolled in another public school or private school that charges tuition, while enrolled in LWCS. Dual enrollment, other than ROP, community colleges or adult schools is prohibited.
- Students will take all the state mandated assessment tests and recommended charter school evaluations.
Every student and parent/guardian/caregivers will be asked to complete a registration packet, prior to enrollment. If the student is 18 years or older, the student can register themselves. A completed LWCS Registration Packet consists of the following.
You must bring the following to your appointment:
- A copy of your transcript(s) for any school(s) you have attended in the past
- Immunization record
Prior to your appointment, please complete the following documents and bring them with you to your appointment:
- Student Application for Admission
- Record Release
- Transportation & Medical Consent
- Health & Reproductive Education Participation
- Photographic and Video Consent
- Physical Education Participation
- Caregiver Authorization Affidavit (if applicable)
- Pasadena Unified School Lunch Form
- National School Lunch Program (for statistical purposes only)
- Home Language Survey
- Special Education records (if applicable)
Students will also be required to complete the following during their visit.
- ASSETs Development Survey
- Student Survey
- Pre Assessment Test or proof of passing the CAHSEE
Prior to enrollment, a scheduled Student/Parent orientation meeting and intake appointment with LWCS registrar must occur to ensure understanding and acceptance of LWCS’s educational program, philosophies and responsibilities. In this meeting, students and parent(s)/legal guardian(s)/caregiver(s):
- Acknowledge their understanding and acceptance of LWCS’s academic requirements and behavioral rules of conduct as explained and stated within the student/parent handbook and Voluntary Independent Study Master Agreement form.
- Review of credit check based transcript(s) from all previous schools of attendance, and the development of an Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) that includes three trimesters or course work. During their initial meeting, the teacher and student will develop a student schedule to manage time and keep tutoring and small group instruction appointments.
- Review and sign the LWCS Independent Study Master Agreement Form. The LWCS Independent Study Master Agreement is the cornerstone of the educational agreement between the student, parent(s) and the school. This agreement, signed by all parties is the final step to enroll in the school and establishes the rights and responsibilities for all. This agreement must be signed upon initial enrollment and every school trimester, thereafter.