OUR MISSION: Welcoming
The mission of the Learning Works Charter School (LW) is to provide a personalized, rigorous academic program and relevant life skills to traditionally underserved, at-risk students in grades 9-12 who have withdrawn or are in danger of withdrawing from mainstream education without attaining a high school diploma. LW addresses the needs in our community by offering a program to give these disengaged students an educational choice designed to meet their specific needs, distinct from the traditional programs that have not served them well. Our model combines both the need for academic intervention and support, as well as acknowledges that this population requires wrap around, social support services.
A voluntary, independent study-based charter school fits the need for a “fresh start.” Unlike many school district alternative programs, we have a dedicated, stand-alone facility separate from other public schools that is centrally located within the local community. The LW’s safe and professional learning center distinctly differs in appearance and feel from traditional schools.
OUR GOALS: All Youth Need a High School Diploma
- Enroll and retain students who have not completed high school.
- Provide support services to students (“wrap around services”) to overcome many of the life challenges that are barriers to attending school and completing high school.
- Graduate students with a high school diploma, which includes passing the CAHSEE.
- Assist students in attaining their first job and a plan for a career.
- After high school, enroll students in further education or training.
- Coordinate community and school district resources for these students and their families.
© 2014. Public Works Group. All Rights Reserved.